Visitation at Funeral Home
Obituary of Harold James Enstice
ENSTICE - Harold J. “Hal” April 5, 2019, age 96. Of Clarence, NY. Beloved husband of Rosemary (nee Ryan) Enstice; loving father of Kevin (Paula) Enstice, Keith (Terry) Enstice, and Mary Enstice Kruszynski; also survived by nine grandchildren, ten great-grandchildren, nieces and nephews; predeceased by his parents Edward and Rose (nee Abarno) Enstice; siblings Donald, Edward and Lillian. Friends received Wednesday 4-8 PM at SHEPARD BROS FUNERAL HOME, LLC., 10690 Main St., Clarence. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held Thursday 10:30 AM at Nativity of BVM Church, 8500 Main St., Clarence (corner of Harris Hill Rd.) Memorials may be made to WNY Alzheimer’s Association - www.alz.com/wny, Bunkers in Baghdad - www.bunkersinbagdad.com, or Harvest House - www.harvesthousebuffalo.org.
Born in Flushing, L.I. to the late Edward and Rose (Abarno) Enstice.
Grew up in Flushing and went to Flushing High School. Played Football, Basketball, Baseball and Track. Hal was All New York City in Football and Baseball. He then attended Pawling School (Prep School) where he played Football (Captain), Basketball, Baseball, Track and was Senior Class President. He attended Union College where he played Football (Captain), Basketball, Baseball. Hal received Little All American in Football and signed a contract with the Detroit Lions NFL.
He married Rosemary Ryan in August 16, 1947 and moved to Clarence in January 1958. Harold was an Insurance Salesman at the Harris Hill Agency, in Clarence.
Harold was a decorated WWII Veteran. He was an Army Tech SGT. with the 36th Infantry Division in Africa, Italy, France, and Germany and was in 7 combat zones. He was awarded the Bronze Star Medal (2), Purple Heart Medal, Presidential Unit Citation, Good Conduct Medal, Combat Infantryman Badge, American Campaign Medal, European-African- Middle Eastern Campaign Medal (with Invasion Arrowhead for Southern France, WWII Victory Medal, Army of Occupation Medal-Germany, New York State Conspicuous Cross Medal, and New York State Conspicuous Star Medal.
Mr. Enstice was very active in the community. He currently was a member of the Clarence American Legion Post 838; which he was the past Commander and Historian. A member of the Clarence Historical Society which he was a life member and trustee. Dande Farms Men's Club was past President and Class A Champion 1999. He sat on the Clarence Library Board and the Amherst Chamber of Commerce, membership committee.
Past organizations he was involved with were:
-WNY Chamber Alliance, Past President and Charter Member
- Red Cross, Clarence Branch, Past President
- Clarence Girls Softball League, First President
- Clarence Counseling Center, Past President
- Clarence Citizens Council, Director
- Clarence Little League Manager, Player Agent
- Holy Name Society of Nativity BVM Church, Harris Hill
- Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital Board, Amherst
- National Association of Life Underwriters
- WNY Union College Alumni Association, Past President
- UB Community Advisory Council.
With his involvement in the military and community he received the following awards:
- 1973 VFW post Man of the Year
-1975 JayCees District Service Award
- 1980 Clarence Citizen of the Year
- 2006 Trinity-Pawling Athletic Hall of Fame
- 2007 Union College Athletic Hall of Fame
- 2007 National Purple Heart Hall of Honor
- 2017 New York State Veterans Hall of Fame.To send flowers to the family of Harold Enstice, please visit Tribute Store